Thread: less lethal
View Single Post
Old March 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #34
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by lawnboy: I just happen to think that the fact that one has taken classes, belongs to a membership pistol range and practices hitting what they aim at under pressure will tend to make whatever one posts here somewhat irrelevant should that person ever be judged.
Not likely at all.

Quote:
I do not intend to say that my self defense plan is to keep shooting until an assailant expires.
No, but it is likely that you would have to keep shooting--that is, shoot more than once--until the assailant ceases to constitute a serious imminent threat. What actually occurred and why may not be clear, and evidence that a self defense encounter would be dealt with with the intent to kill could well tip the balance.

Quote:
But my contention is that it must be acknowledged that EVEN A SINGLE SHOT carries with it a strong potential of causing that death.
Of course, but that's a lot different from stating that one's intent would be to kill.

Quote:
Especially a well aimed shot, with a serious round, fired by a shooter who has taken on the responsibility to get trained.
The concept of "a well aimed shot" by a shooter who "belongs to a pistol range" does not square well with what one learns in self defense training.

The need to draw and fire very quickly at someone who presents an imminent threat and who is most probably moving very quickly most probably completely precludes the taking of a "well aimed shot". Qualified trainers teach firing several times as quickly as possible at center mass.

Page generated in 0.03853 seconds with 8 queries