View Single Post
Old October 6, 2011, 02:29 PM   #136
Bill Akins

Quote:
Batja wrote:
This is all great, and you guys have come up with some nice ideas. However, I don't see anyone discussing how to add a DISCONNECTOR to the 1858 Remington lockwork. And without a disconnector the hammer will just follow the piston back to the cylinder without setting off the cap. Just another thing to think about.
Good thinking Batja, but if you will re-read back through the thread, you will see that I mentioned multiple times in my posts that the lockwork would have to be modified so that when the trigger was functioned and the hammer cocked semi-automatically from the shot, that the hammer would stay to the rear even though the trigger was still depressed, and that the trigger would then have to be released so it could reset in order to drop the hammer when the trigger was functioned again. Otherwise as you recognized, without modifying for a disconnector as you mentioned, the hammer would just follow the piston back forward and might not have enough inertia to pop the cap....or even if it did pop the cap, it would go full auto, and the idea here is to make a semi-auto 1858 Remington, not a full auto one.

In fact I just received a stainless 1858 hammer in the mail today that I bought on gunbroker with the idea of modifying it so that when the trigger was functioned and the hammer pushed back from the shot, that the hammer would stay in the cocked position even though the trigger was still depressed. Then when the trigger was released that would reset the sear so that when the trigger was functioned again that would drop the hammer.

So good thinking on your part Batja, and be assured we are well aware of that.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.02597 seconds with 8 queries