Thread: 308 Win for Elk
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2010, 11:33 AM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
Taylorce1, I hear that a lot also. But, it's a little like riding a bike don't you think? I lost interest in just shooting probably 20 years ago. Last year I shot a rifle maybe 8 times. I killed a bull elk with one of those shots, and a nice 10 point whitetail with another. The other shots were to check the scope was where it was when I shot it last and confirm trajectory.

Don't get me wrong, practice is important for anybody to develop as much skill as possible. But, the notion that one has to shoot target after target forever to be able to hunt effectively is exaggerated IMO. Plus you don't need to practice with your $40/box ammo.
Yes I do believe it is more than just like riding a bike. I can ride a bike but I can't compete in a serious race without practice and dedication. I don't want to ever be just an average as a hunter so I choose to practice.

If shooting paper is boring find different things to shoot. I like to shoot steel gongs and 20oz drink bottles filled with water. Just get a little creative and realize you don't just have to shoot paper for groups to get in your practice.

Ammunition is cheap even cheaper when you reload. If you can't afford to spend a little time and money to practice you probably shouldn't hunt IMO. I don't put but probably 40-50 rounds a year through most of my big game rifles, but I do shoot them enough to be familiar with how they perform beyond 100 yards.

I shoot mainly my varmint rifles just because of the economy, and to hone my shooting skills. I reload my big game cartridges for the same reason, I can reload at least shoot double for the same amount of money vs. buying factory ammunition. If you don’t want to spend the money to practice that is your choice not mine.

Again until anyone can show me definitive proof that a 180 grain bullet will out perform a standard hunting bullet at .308 velocities I’ll still say you don’t need them. John Nosler only invented the Partition because standard bullets failed at close range out of a .300 H&H to penetrate a mud encrusted Bull Moose. Barnes recommends that if you normally use a .308 cal 180 grain bullet to drop at least to 150-165 to get the velocity up so they work reliably in the .308/.30-06.

Standard cup and core 180 grain bullets in .308 calibers have been designed to work at .30-06 MV of below 2800 fps and the .308 Win does all of that. Give me a.308 Win with 180 grain Sierra GK/PH, Speer Hot Core, Win PP, Rem CL, or Hornady Interlock and I’ll take any elk on within the OP’s original parameters. I wouldn’t be afraid to punch it through the shoulders either or take extreme angle shots within reason. By that I mean any shot that doesn’t take me through the paunch on either entrance or exit.

Page generated in 0.03564 seconds with 8 queries