View Single Post
Old July 9, 2012, 07:02 PM   #25
Baba Louie

I prefer SLR to EBR

Once I left college and started earning a little money, I bought a Remington 7400, a self loading rifle (SLR) carbine in .30-06 for hunting. It was black polymer stocked. Is it an EBR? dunno. Owned a Garand, an M1 Carbine... both SLRs with a bit of history behind them, but they are either too heavy or underpowered for hunting IMO.

In '85, I wanted to try a Colt in 5.56. That led to a Springfield SAR-48, the M1A, etc. No big deal. 7.62x51 surplus was cheap. Got a cheap Chinese AK and an SKS or three back then as well, just because. Not my cup o tea, but ammo was cheap as were the rifles. Bought a Mitchell Yugo AK in 7.62x51 as well then. Just something different to shoot other than the old bolt action milsurps I owned. Somewhere along the way an FN49 (egyptian) and a Ljungman Ag42 found their way into the safe. Weird but wonderful.

When the Omnibus Crime Bill was passed, it meant I had mine, but I still used either the 7400 or my Winchester 94 for deer hunts.

While they all bring a smile to my face when shooting them, I have no Walter Mitty dreams of glory, tho I do feel every citizen should have access to and familiarity with whatever weaponry our military uses to protect our national borders. It isn't or should not be an Us v. Them internal situation, but rather it is US against anyone outside who dares the unthinkable... and I doubt they'd dare, nor do I see or hear myself shouting wolverine anytime soon.

But I was a Boy Scout.

They'll all either be passed down to the kids or grandkids, or should they all decide to live in CA all their lives, sold off to friends.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address

Page generated in 0.02419 seconds with 8 queries