View Single Post
Old February 17, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Speer Hot Cor.....are they any good?

Well, I'm not so sure. In my 44 mag, I have tried the Gold Dots and was not impressed with inconsistent weights of the individual bullets. The 210 grainers varried as much as 4-5 grains. They shot okay but the weight variance bothers me. I have a TC encore chambered in 280 Rem and have tried Barnes and Sierra an found both to be quality bullets. Trying to give Speer another chance, I ordered the 130 gr Hot Cor's. I started weighing some and again found them to have about a 2 grain variance. Now, I know I'm getting nit picky but I think that they should be a bit more consistent. Also, I believe that the lead core is poured in to the jacket which I have read is both their claim to fame as well as their downfall. I found quite a few comments saying Speer is the king of jacket core separation. I'm not really worried about the bullet's ability to take down a deer as much as frags in the meat. I have them so, I'm going to bench test them. However, I would like to hear some reviews from my trusted TFL members. Not really limiting this to my two calibers, just an overall opinion of Speer Hot Cor bullets.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Page generated in 0.03217 seconds with 8 queries