View Single Post
Old January 8, 2012, 03:46 PM   #74
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
So the challenges are numerous. And this is just for one possible situation.
The Myth of Muscle Memory

Quote:
There’s no such thing as muscle memory. Literally speaking, your muscles don’t have memory. Nor do they operate independently. Your brain sends your muscles a signal to move. They move. Gun gurus and their acolytes use the term “muscle memory” to refer to unconscious or subconscious muscle movement. The Myth of Muscle Memory
Quote:
But you cannot train anyone’s “muscle memory” to respond to every threat situation appropriately. There are too many scenarios, too many potential variables.

Nor should you try. In fact, you should avoid training yourself to respond to threats with “muscle memory.” By doing so, you run the very real risk of activating the wrong “memory” or, if you will, subconscious stimulus -> response program. Get it wrong and, again, the wrong person may die. And that includes you. The Myth of Muscle Memory
Too many scenarios, too many situations where thinking and not reacting fast will win the day.

Having a smooth draw and accurate shooting are potentially valuable skills. Knowing when the risk out weighs the reward and how to still critically think under intense, life threatening situations maybe better ones. Having your handgun already drawn, or avoiding the situation entirely are always going to be better solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS
It is rather remarkable with regular ammo or +P compared to about 99% of gun owners. I found it rather amusing to be in gun classes such as at Thunder Ranch and doing a 3 or 5 shot drill of some sort and I could be finished firing and completing a mag change and be scanning and there would still be people firing.
Yeah, it is kinda fast, but I spent years and years practicing...on targets.

If I'm in a real world shooting situation though, there won't be any range timers beeping, or stationary paper targets waiting patiently to get shot. When someone is holding a loaded firearm on me from 1-3 yards away and all they have to do is get in one lucky shot to end my life... who can really say? Even if you've been there before and survived, there's no guarantee they can again.

Page generated in 0.02587 seconds with 8 queries