View Single Post
Old April 3, 2013, 02:06 AM   #21
Bluehighways

Back when the local gravel pit was still open to shooting I would bring milk cartons and juice bottles filled with water. They give a nice show if you hit them with any centerfire rifle round, and the plastic doesn't fragment, making them easy to pick up and take home in a trash bag.

I also used to shoot bowling pins. They're INCREDIBLY tough and will withstand many many rounds from high powered rifles before finally breaking. I got twenty retired bowling pins from the local bowling alley manager by just asking politely if he had some to spare.

There are many sections of abandoned railroad track near me, and I used to walk along the old tracks and find steel plates that the railroad had discarded when laying new ties, back when those rail lines were still used. They make great rifle targets, as long as you're a safe distance away. NEVER trespass onto railroad property if the line is still in use. You can get arrested.

The plastic jugs were quite a show with rifles, not so much with handguns. The bowling pins and steel plates are not for use with handguns at all. There is way too much risk of a ricochet.

I once caught a .45 jacketed ball off a steel plate in my abdomen. It didn't break the skin, but gave me a hell of a blood blister through a sweatshirt and the bullet was HOT when I put it in my hand.

I also caught a .38 special wadcutter in the abdomen after it bounced off a bowling pin. Again, no penetration but a big blood blister and a hot bullet. I still have both of those pieces of lead as a testament to my young stupidity.

I got very lucky. Either one could have hit me in the face / eye / ? .

Hard targets can be fun and safe, but make damn sure you're far away and everyone else is too. That's my 2 cents.

Page generated in 0.02185 seconds with 8 queries