View Single Post
Old August 22, 2011, 12:24 PM   #19
GWS

Quote:
The chronograph has a couple of other uses. Absolute accuracy doesn't matter as much if you don't shoot at ranges over 300 yards, but repeatability does. If you have a repeatable chronograph there are a couple of things it can do for you even for closer ranges. For one, suppose you have a pet load, but buy a new lot of powder or primers that might not be exactly the same. You go to the range with the new components and the last of the old ones. Shoot the old ones, then adjust the powder charge with the new ones until you get a match. The barrel time should be quite close at that point and remain on any sweet spot you found, and you've got your new load in fewer rounds than it takes to completely retest for best group. Note that this only works with the same powder number and not for a different number owing to difference in burning characteristics.

Another use is as an additional subjective pressure sign when working up new loads. See item 16 on this list. I figure, the more pressure signs you have to work with, the easier it is to stay safe.
Unclenick....You made some good points....especially the double check on pressure. A few months ago as I was testing a few .308 loads (LC Military brass) in a DPMS, I noticed that TWO of the rounds flattened the CCI primers. (out of 50) A chronograph would have given me comparative velocity data that would have easily confirmed suspicions of a significant powder measure fluctuation in those two rounds. (or worse)

I may be looking for a chonograph after all. For me at least...a separate computer is still not an option. The CED may be the best compromise from what I'm reading. My wife will be thrilled...she has a hell of a time coming up with ideas for Christmas gifts for me. That's just the way it is when you get old and have already accumulated what you need.

Last edited by GWS; August 22, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.02102 seconds with 8 queries