View Single Post
Old March 19, 2014, 05:24 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will use a new post to discuss that "reweld" M14. After the M14 was phased out of service, those not needed or wanted by the military or police were stripped, the receivers cut in half with a diamond saw, and the parts then scrapped. Some folks bought the scrap and, as they had been done previously with M1 rifle scrap, welded a front and back half together. They registered the guns as machineguns. Others did the same thing, but welded up the selector, going by an old BATFE letter saying that such a rifle would not be a machinegun. Later, BATFE stated that such letters were one time permission and applied only to the original recipient; they did not grant any permission to other individuals nor did they constitute blanket permission to make and sell M14 receivers built from scrap. That rifle was one made under one of those letters and legally registered. It is fully transferrable, but be aware of its history as resurrected scrap.

Those receivers (like the M1 receivers) are sometimes called "rewelds"; I object to the term because you can't "reweld" something that was never welded to begin with. I prefer, and use, the term "cut-and-weld" as more accurate and more descriptive.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02644 seconds with 8 queries