Thread: GPS.....?
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 10:32 PM   #20
MadHatter1

"I agree wholeheartedly. I'm believer in having a GPS and a map and a compass. The GPS for the heavy work and the map and compass for a backup. "

I take a little different take on the map/compas - GPS dilema. Paper map and a magnetic compass are always my primary. Electronic navigation aids are always the backup/validation. Land navigation skills will deteriorate rapidy if not practiced.
For the OP's wilderness hunt, the following tasks, in order:
1) Get the best, most current maps of the area you can find. Greentrails made excellant maps of WA when I lived there, not sure if they cover OR or not.
2) Get a good magnetic compass. I've used a Silva Ranger for 30 years, never failed. Don't know who else makes good orientering compasses.
3) Learn to use #1 and #2 together. Find someone to teach you. Master them. Practice. Understand and know how to use the following techniques: dead reckoning, intersection, resection, terrain association, offset, pacecount....
4) If possible, recon the area your hunt will be in. Familierize yourself with the area. Drive the roads, if any. Walk the areas you plan on hunting. Compare the ground to the great maps you have ( you are going in order, right?). Mark any easily identified landmarks or terrain features on the map. Use a .5mm mechanical pencil, ink may run and pens aren't fine enough for detail work.
5) Now its time to start looking at a GPS. The 60CsX is worth every dime. If #1 - #4 have not been done, its worthless.

I spent over 10 years doing SAR work in the Northwest, in the 80s and early 90s. I've spent thousands of hours looking for morons who get turned around in department store. Technology does not replace basic skills and fieldcraft.
I've also spent the last 20 years in the military, in one form or another. When I teach land navigation, if it takes batteries, its NOT allowed. There are other classes for using digital nav aids.
OK, the new guy will get off the soapbox now.....

Page generated in 0.02569 seconds with 8 queries