View Single Post
Old October 10, 2008, 09:27 PM   #5
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie
I think what I was looking for was "the end justifies the means."
That is what came to my mind when i read your opening post, Bogie. I don't think the problem is a lack of critical thinking skills as much as it is a problem with society. When the perpetrator goes to others to brag about what he has done, he will receive positive reinforcement for "attacking those crazy gun nuts" or "those stupid conservatives". There are so many people out there operating on the "ends justifies the means" approach that they reject society's values which state that damaging the property of others is wrong. As long as they can find enough people providing them positive reinforcement through the "ends justifies the means" crowd to negate the negative reinforcement they receive from the societal norm crowd, they will continue to do it for more positive reinforcement. The answer won't be easy, because you would have to reprogram the societal norms of the entire "ends justifies the means" crowd. In my perfect world, I would do the whole eye for an eye thing. You want to deface someone else's vehicle? Fine, the courts will take a grinder to your vehicle and grind in a statement about how dumb the owner is, and grind it in deep enough so replacing body panels is the only option for removing it. I think that's the problem with society, it seems you never have to feel shame these days. In the Army, commanders have the option of posting the proceedings from nonjudicial punishments on the company board so everyone else can learn from their mistakes and know that the offender did something wrong. I haven't had a commander who has posted the proceedings on the board in eight years, even when encouraged to by the senior NCOs. Can't let the troops feel bad about themselves, they might need to seek counseling from mental health experts for their newly-lowered self-esteem. :barf:

So what brought this on? Did someone deface the Bogie-mobile?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams

Page generated in 0.02642 seconds with 8 queries