View Single Post
Old January 17, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1
BConklin

I couldn't find an ROA holster that I liked..

so I decided to make one..

I've never done any leatherworking before but I figured it might be something I'd enjoy...I was right!

I found there's a Tandy store not too far from me so I went up there, bought some leather and some tools et voila!

a hand-made-from-scratch, calfskin lined, custom fitted field holster for my favorite gun!

The outer layer is 8 ounce oak tanned cowhide, the inside is 2 ounce calf and the holster is hand stitched throughout. From tracing and modifying a template on manila folders to burnishing the edges on the finished holster represents a whole bunch of hours of work but I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Though there are a few mistakes I'm quite happy with the outcome... especially since it's my first attempt. It's not bad looking at all. It's quite rigid and fits the gun perfectly and I think it'll do the job nicely.

I went a little overboard buying leather so I plan to keep busy making several more holsters this winter. Come spring, maybe I'll have a custom holster for every pistol I own.

Here's some pics.

Page generated in 0.02120 seconds with 8 queries