View Single Post
Old February 1, 2014, 02:43 AM   #1
5RWill

First Impressions of my Leupy MK6.

Since we don't really have an optics section and this is going on a bolt rifle i figured i'd share my initial impression of this scope. Picked up a Mark 6 3-18x44mm at a phenomenal price that i couldn't resist. It's Mil/Mil, locking turrets, zero stop, 34mm main tube, has a TMR reticle, and capped windage knob. No illumination.

To start it's tiny, seriously if your used to using a NF NXS, USO SN-3, or anything in that decently sized area of a scope this will look micro to you. It is maybe an inch longer than my mark 4 2.5-8x36mm. It's 11.9" and weighs only 23.6oz. That's 10 less than an HDMR/ERS which is of similar size and 8 less than my SN-3. Granted the HDMR/ERS has a 50mm objective and a greater magnification range. It almost feels too light compared to what my SN-3 feels like.

On to the turrets, this could be a hit or miss for most. From what i gather most don't like locking turrets, they actually don't bother me, i like them. That said these turrets on the M5B2 mark 6 are a bit mushy it's nothing huge for me because my USO EREK knob is a bit in the same area but it's much easier to read. This is because my EREK knob sits over a hash on the scope body while having a hash that extends under the measurements on the knob. Leupold has an arrow on the scope body pointing up, not making contact with the hash marks on the dial, it's a bit of a negative IMO because i like being able to tell exactly where i am, which my EREK lets me. For the most part this elevation knob does as well, sometimes when you over travel a tad you might have to back track just a tad to get it on the point. Idk it's a picky detail to complain about honestly. The locking mechanism on the turret is a pinch and turn mechanism which as i said does have a little mush but does work very well. The clicks are very tactile and audible. There is also a detent that gives a clunk feeling when you dial half a rotation (5 mils). It's a very sharp clunk i might add that almost feels like a zero stop would. Then after you've dialed one revolution (10 mils) there is a revolution indicator on top of the elevation knob.

The windage knob has a much more precise click to it than the elevation knob due to not being a locking knob. It's also capped which i thought would be a downside for me but it's not bothering me at all.

The eyepiece is very very easy to get behind and turn. Turning the magnification ring doesn't turn the entire ocular either just the ring which is good IMO.

At the moment i can't comment on glass as i've only looked through it inside my apartment and home. I want to get it side by side with my USO SN-3 to see how they compare. From what i can tell inside the glass is very crisp and i've yet to notice any Chromatic aberration but i've only looked at it inside for small amounts of time. The FFP TMR reticle is awesome, i was a tad worried that i might have favored the ERS i had picked out simply for the G2DMR reticle but i'm finding myself really liking the FFP TMR. It's nice and thin for a FFP reticle or compared to my GAP reticle in my SN-3.

Shooting and pictures to follow up whenever i can manage to get some 34mm rings.

Last edited by 5RWill; February 1, 2014 at 01:11 PM.

Page generated in 0.03678 seconds with 8 queries