View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Picher

In my 60 years of shooting, I've shot many different competitions with rifle, handgun, and shotgun. I also won about a hundred informal turkey (target) shoots, both offhand and prone, plus the "Best Da_ned Shot in Maine" competition.

I believe that good bench technique can translate to accurate field shooting. To mimic field shooting conditions, soft benchrest bags seem better than hard ones. After sighting in, I often shoot offhand at 200 meters at gongs or clay targets on the bank to check my field zero.

One day, I was sighting in my .270 Win from the bench next to a guy who was a CF benchrest competitor with his match rifle. The .270 shot some nice groups at 100, then I stood up and fired a 5-shot group offhand that was about 1 1/2". The guy said he was impressed with the bench groups, but was absolutely floored by the offhand shooting. He said he'd never fired offhand.

Knowing what a rifle can do and checking ballistics tables against real life conditions is important to accurate field shooting from any position and (reasonable) game distances.

("You gotta know your limitations." Dirty Harry)

Last edited by Picher; June 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Page generated in 0.02749 seconds with 8 queries