View Single Post
Old August 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #7
mmccall60

It is like the one in the first picture. Colt M4 .22 OPS. Here is a picture of mine. Note the panels are attached to the Quad-rail forearm. There is a spring clamp on the forward end of each of the three panels. None at the rear of the panels. This configuration as seen in the picture is exactly how I received it.

Please note that in referencing the Colt OPS rifle, my information source is from the Colt Website. The following is a description from that website:

"The Colt M4 Carbine is a spot on .22 LR replica of the current carbine version of the M-16 machine gun issued to U.S. military. It features a carbine length barrel, collapsible stock and removable carry handle. As with the original, the upper and lower receiver is made of high quality aluminum. The Colt M4 Carbine Semi-Automatic Rifle in .22 L.R. is manufactured exclusively by Walther under license from Colt. It is the only genuine Colt tactical rimfire replica available in the world". Referencing website: http://www.waltherarms.com/products/...as/m4-carbine/

In short, the upper and lower is made of high-quality Aluminum. Which means a grade lower than aircraft Aluminum. A pot-metal receiver is not a metal that can withstand abuse nor is it a choice to use on firearms. For the manufacturer, pot-metal is a liability, quality issue and a warranty nightmare that can break reputations and make lawsuits. Pot-metal is made up of zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminum, iron, and cadmium. It is prone to breakage, pitting, flaking, solvent corrosion and cannot be easily welded, soldered or glued. And to top it off, pot-metal cannot be easily machined due to it's weak metallurgical structure and tendency to form gas/air pockets during casting. This type of monkey metal is not stable and ages poorly. I worked in the metal Casting business for years as a engineer so I know my metals.

The last thing I want is to feel like I have to defend myself and my rifle on the first thread I started since I joined this forum. And thanks to those who are truly helping me out here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MichaelMcCall-BDay-ColtM4-22.jpg (191.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by mmccall60; August 12, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.02414 seconds with 9 queries