View Single Post
Old February 11, 2000, 05:58 AM   #26
pluspinc

plusp,
""Genetics will be our deciding factor in a real life and death encounter, much more so
than training, even if the "skill" is to flee.""
......are we talking about controlling panic? What about people that jump out of airplanes?---now that would panic me, but dont they get trained in such a way as to
enforce that they can safely do this? Is this close to what you mean?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Kinda. Keep in mind in the jumping the use a static chord because often fearful jumpers "forget" to pull it. Even in seasoned and veteran jumpers many "fail to perform" such as easy tasks to clear fouled lines, or even engage a reserve. Everyone is stumped at what happened even with a lot of experience. We can not control FRIGHT or manage it. Once that line is crossed it is a genetic response with little room (very little) for information processing. We can train to keep from crossing that line from fear to fright, but a lot of things will influence that. Training on how to avoid a fight will be far more valuable than trying to apply training once it begins. Once the fight begins your odds of winning are far slimmer than if you avoid the fight. Being IN the fight puts us at incredible risk since we will be engaged in an unorganized and no rules encounter. Ho well do you think a championship team would do against another team with NO rules even if the bad guys had NO training. That is why in cop killings the untrained bad guys have a 91% HIT rate vs trained cops 92% MISS rate. That should give you a clue.

""Wish I had more room to explain it, but the science is now there of genetic behavior vs
environmentally learned behavior. Predispositional impact on behavior is now valid in English courts. It is a form of "the devil made me do it." In our case the devil is our ancestors before us."""
......Ok, Ive got to throw this wrench in, what if Im genetically attracted to only blonde women, and Im a rapist----surely that couldnt be used as a defense.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The blonde thing probably not. But illegal, violent behavior could. Ever hear someone say, "he has bad blood?" Genetic predispositional behavior is now moving into our courts as a defense. You will hear more about it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
""As for mind set, when frightend that is stripped from us and brings forth a genetic pre-programmed response for us. When in a state of fright our mind won't care about laws, rules, morals or liability. It WILL do whatever it takes to survive.""
....panic again?
>>>>>>
NO FRIGHT. FRIGHT is not panic, but probably the terms have some interchange. FRIGHT is a strange creature. I find it a very interesting study with precious little to research.

""That is one reason you see so many bites in fights. A neanderthal genetic response.""
>>>>>>>>>>>
....I wasnt aware that they had conclusively linked us to neanderthals, but I have bittenot out of fear but that was the only opening i had,,,I was about 7.
>>>>>>>>>>>
You prove the concept well. At 7 you had NO training and resorted (kids often do this) to your genetics. You didn't have to learn to bite. It is an inbred defense system. Didn't a boxer just do this? I don't think he was hungry.

""With the science now available to us we will have to start to include making ourselves aware of this state of mind that can cause some serious problems. The mind doesn't like organized formal complex things when it thinks it is in danger.
Of all the martial arts the one I have seen used that worked was indeed JUDO. It isn't as
fancy or trendy, but at a prison near where I was a cop an oriental corrections officer
was targeted in a riot. Before he was beaten half to death he got five of them and put
each into the hospital down the hall from where they put him. This included tossing a
couple OVER a railing allowing them to fall two tiers. They out weighed him by 100
pounds. To this day nobody will screw with him.""
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

........Good for him, this could be interesting here, was he raised around a culture of judo or marital arts? Did he practice and how long had he been practicing? What was his mindset prior to the incident, had he already made up his mind to fight no matter what?......fubsy.........your right good thread.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The officer in that case was oriental with a long long family history in martial arts and I would be safe in saying it was to the level of religion. It was daily for him, not just a hobby. Until this riot he had never really used it. He was also not a very imposing figure at about 5-8 and 140=160 lbs. I loved to hear him talk about martial arts. He said, "the victory is obtained with the mind, not with the muscle." He love to OUT THINK the thugs.

Page generated in 0.04335 seconds with 8 queries