View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #38
10-96

The main difference between the GI sling Skadoosh referenced and the one I referenced- well, the difference is about 20 years. Well, that's not quite right either I guess. That one with the clip replaced the leather 1907 type sling, and the one with the clip was made of a cotton type material, and later changed to nylon about the time the M-14's showed up. The plain black silent sling, came along after the M-16A1's were already fielded. The sling with a clip is a dandy sling for highpower competition use- it's really pretty secure and hasn't even falled off of the flat stamped sling swivel on my 1903A3's. I wouldn't have wanted it back when I was in the 25th Inf and all that sneaking around all quiet-like in the jungle as it seems pretty noisy/rattly.

In fact, all I had when I was both active and in the Reserves was the simple black silent sling. These newer generation types weren't invented yet. Well, the high-speed Infantry types may have had them when I was in Iraq in '03/'04, but I don't recall seeing them. I still think it a good thing that evolution is varied enough to give shooters so many choices. And I hope nobody's feathers are too ruffled from this ruther spirited debate.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Page generated in 0.03042 seconds with 8 queries