View Single Post
Old June 16, 2011, 08:49 AM   #20
Edward Horton

Quote:
madcratebuilder

Raw Linseed oil well have some very long drying times. Most every LE collector I know uses BLO. Apply a heavy coat, allow it to set for 30 minutes then wipe off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times allowing the blo to dry between applications(24-48hrs) Tom's gunstock wax is a good product to use every 6 months or so.
Raw linseed oil is what was applied by the British and Commonwealth Nations on their Enfield rifles and this was confirmed by Peter Laidler the senior armourer in the UK.

Some people clean their stocks with Easy Off oven cleaner or put them in the dishwasher. This doesn't change the fact of what was actually put on the Enfield rifle and "WHY" it was put on the wood.

Todays American made BLO is toxic and it is "NOT" what the British put on the Enfield wooden stock. Opinions or a WAG do not matter when the official documented material put on the Enfield rifle was raw linseed oil.

In our forums we have some people who tell you to grease or oil your cartridge cases to prevent the case from stretching and prevent case head separations and these people do "NOT" know what they are talking about.

This also doesn't change what the British said about oil or grease on cartridge cases.

There is a difference between "FACTS", fiction, myths, opinions and guesswork.

Now read about BLO that IS toxic, the company below makes knapsacks and haversacks for Civil War reenactors only to find out they could NOT use Ace Hardware BLO because it "IS" a toxic product EVEN after it dries.
(And you hold your rifles in your hands and put your cheek against the stock)

"The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) rate the health hazards of boiled linseed oil as low. But and this is a very important BUT-- that is when the oil is used in the context of the MSDS guidelines as an exterior coating for wood or metal. No one has addressed the use of boiled linseed oil for coating cloth items containing food, cloth items for transporting clothing and food and cloth items to sleep on.

When we first began to reproduce the double bag knapsack we contacted the Sunnyside Company that produces boiled linseed oil. We described how we proposed to use their product and asked about the health warnings on their container. Their response was that to ask that we find an alternative coating or if we did use boiled linseed oil we not use their brand due to the liability issue."

American made Boiled Linseed Oil contains lead, arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel. These elements are toxic and carcinogens.

http://missouribootandshoe.tripod.com/id18.html

I deal in facts and I research what I write so take this for what its worth, I don't care if you put peanut butter on your Enfield stocks but "RAW" linseed oil was what was used and not BLO.

Page generated in 0.04401 seconds with 8 queries