Thread: Hog Arsenal
View Single Post
Old January 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #30
hoffbill

The ideal gun and caliber will vary depending on the habitat, hunting style, day or night and personal preference.
At our place here in TX we shoot them on sight with what ever we have on us at the time. 270 Win with 150gr SST is my weapon of choice, as many have said, a 223 or 22-250 will kill one, but bullet choice and shot placement have a smaller margin of error, as none of us want any animal to suffer. As far as recovery, its true, buzzards gotta eat too. I prefer a young female 100 to 150 for table fare. I hang them from the tractor loader, peel them enough to bone out the hind quarters and remove the backstrap. That's most of the good meat on a feral hog quick and easy, into the cooler or refrig immediately. It will smell better than store bought pork. I make breadfast sausage or mix with venison for summer sausage and salami. Depending on how fat they are, it may be necessary to add some store bought butt or shoulder or beg the butcher for some pork trim.
Good hunting and be safe.
These feral hogs can be dangerous especially if you wound one without incapacitating it. We trap quite a few and when you come up to the trap they are usually trying to bust out the side of the trap--on your side!

Page generated in 0.02344 seconds with 8 queries