View Single Post
Old March 17, 2014, 06:44 AM   #4
jmr40

I'd pick the Glock hands down.

Reliability simply isn't an issue in a nightstand gun. With decent ammo either will work. FWIW I've had far more revolvers malfunction than semi's. But that always was after the 1st cylinder. Problems occur when reloading, bad ammo, or after guns had been shot quite a bit and were dirty or the ejector rod shot loose on S&W revolvers. Keep either gun clean and feed them quality ammo and forget about reliability.

My 4" barreled G-19 chronographs 1250 fps with 124 gr +P ammo. From a 2-3" barreled SP-101 you'll be lucky to get 1000-1200 fps with the same bullet weights. Likely much less and you will get far more recoil and muzzle blast with 1/3 the ammo available.

357 mag ammo earned its reputation in long barreled guns shooting heavy bullets. The published ballistics listed for the round are from 8" barrels and they don't come close to that from snub guns. Published numbers for semi's are taken from 4.5" barrels, much closer to what people actually use. When you start shooting either in barrels 4" and less 9mm starts to make a lot more sense.

Page generated in 0.06359 seconds with 8 queries