View Single Post
Old November 17, 2012, 01:30 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

Ok thanks for awnsering the questions.

You have a room for a bench. That is a huge plus. Since you are going to load rifle rounds it will need to be solid for sizing the brass.

I would say for equipment the Lee Beech Lock Challenger kit would serve you well. Though I would suggest a better scale that can be had for under $100 (closer to $25 to $80 depending if you want a manual, or digital scale.)

Kit price is under $110 dollars. Add the scale. Now you will need dies. I suggest Lee Dies. Some people bash them. All of mine make ammo that is more accurate than I can milk it for. For the bolt action if you can get the Deluxe die set with the collet die I would do it. Crimping should not be necessary in most cases. Has been shown in many to be counter productive to accuracy most cases that I have seen.

For the Mosin I would suggest bulk spam can ammo if it a cost factor. I can not buy components as cheap as the spam can stuff. I spend more to reload for the round, though I enjoy reloading for it, and Mrs M&P likes shooting my reduced loads with Trail Boss.

Since time is not a big factor, and budget is a big factor then the Lee kit will get you started, and shooting. You can save up, and upgrade as you go along .
That leaves plenty left for a manual, and components.

If there is a Cabella's you can drive to not too far away then you can buy the kit off the shelf, and they will have the manual, and a selection of scales you can buy off the shelf. Start with a die set for one, or two calibers that you shoot. I would say that the .223 is the cheapest for components. Some bullets, and a can of H-335, or IMR 4895, and some Magnum, small rifle primers. As well as a Lee die set. The standard red box ones since it for an AR. Follow the directions for set up, after reading the how to section in the manual you buy. (About 80 or so pages) You can start into reloading.

Oh and as a secondary note. Reloading for .223 Rem buy some thing to remove the stakes, or crimp in the primer pockets. Most of brass I have been picking up for the past two years seems to have it. The Lyman case prep tool cost less than $20 will do large, and small primer pocket sizes. If you feel so inclined RCBS makes a primer pocket swagger that works from on the press. I think it cost in the $40 something dollar range. Also you will need to trim cases. The Lee case length guage, and lock stud will work with the trimmer that come in the kit. Cost of each is Less than $8 per caliber from most places. You can chuck it in a drill, or buy a Lee Zip Trim. Cost is under $20.

Last edited by m&p45acp10+1; November 17, 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries