View Single Post
Old February 21, 1999, 10:53 PM   #7
Ed

Thad- Just want to say amen to Walt's taper crimp advice. I started loading for .45ACP in 1962, and always used the roll crimp that came on the seating dies. With hardball I just set up enough crimp to snug up the case mouth to the bullet and it worked ok, but with 200 or 185 gr lead swc I got too many feed failures on my old pre-war Colt. I thought that was normal for non-throated barrels until I bought a Lee taper crimp die a few years ago. I can honestly say I have not had a single malfunction of any kind with lead bullets of any configuration in either of my guns since I began taper crimping. I know that sounds very unlikely for unmodified 1911's, but I have racked my weak brain and can't think of a single feeding problem since that time. I load 5.5 gr 231 under the 200 gr swc because I get best accuracy with that load, so they get slammed around pretty hard, but I have not had any bullet setbacks as far as I can tell. A buddy has also shot lots of my lead bullet reloads in three of his 1911's with no problems. You won't have to worry about how much crimp to use either, just adjust till you get a fairly firm pull on the press handle at the bottom of the crimping stroke and you're there.

Page generated in 0.03077 seconds with 8 queries