View Single Post
Old May 10, 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Bill Akins

The name of the rubbery dip stuff that can also spray on is called "Plastidip" and you can learn about it at this website.....
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

I called and spoke to a representative there and asked them several questions.

I told them I wanted to coat my revolver grips with their white plastidip spray can and was concerned that with it remaining flexible that it might peel off or become loose on the grips and was also concerned that if it didn't work out that it might leave residue on my wooden grips if I wanted to remove it.

They told me that if it didn't work out that I could easily remove it (as long as I didn't use acrylic based primer to make it stick permanently) and that it would not leave any residue whatsoever.

They also told me that in order to make sure the application is permanent and will not peel off that I would have to use their non oil based acrylic primer and then spray the white plastic dip over that and it would not peel off or become loose and would be a permanent installation.

The problem is....they sell the plastidip in spray cans but no longer sell the primer in spray cans and it is only available in quart cans. Which is WAY more than I need. So I asked them if I could use another type of spray can primer and they told me I probably could as long as it was not oil based and was acrylic based.

I told them Home Depot only had the plastic dip in black and they told me that Ace hardware has it in white or can easily get it from their Ace warehouse if that store is out of the white color.

So as soon as I can find some spray on acrylic primer and get to an Ace hardware store and get the white spray can of "plastidip" I'll be experimenting on other pieces of wood BEFORE I use it on my grips....just in case.

Then if it works out I'll post and tell y'all about it and show some pics.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 10, 2011 at 01:03 PM.

Page generated in 0.02930 seconds with 8 queries