View Single Post
Old February 11, 2000, 05:50 PM   #14
JohnDog

Dr. Rob,

Colorado's mule deer population is not down any appreciable amount due to Chronic Wasting Disease. From the Division of Wildlife Fact Sheet - "Fewer than 200 cases, mostly in mule deer, have been documented since 1981." (http://www.dnr.state.co.us/wildlife/hunt/chronic.htm)

And I didn't say that they were "evil" or "vicious", I just told you what I have seen. I agree with you that they are smarter than their wildlife prey - which makes them light years ahead of sheep (dumbest animal i've ever been around).

I was just trying to make a point, as you did, that nature is full of predators and prey. And that sometimes peoples livelihood is tied, directly or indirectly, to the predator's prey. Actually, 'moon doggies' are one of the local wildlife I enjoy watching the most. Where I live (NW Colorado Springs) they inhabit the green space behind our house and are great for viewing at dawn and dusk. We have a den that we watch, and have seen a mother coyote carry pups in and out at various times. We also have people stop by, or leave flyers, for their missing pets. We've stoppped telling them about the what probably happened to there pets, and tell them that we will sure look for them, and give a call if we find them.

Cleancut,

Talk to ranchers in your area. See if they have a problem with coyotes. If they do, ask if you can hunt there. Learn about coyote calling - see how close you can call them in. If thats not sporting enough, when you call one in stand up and watch him run off. Then when he gets out at a sporting distance - try shooting him out there. BTW - getting to know ranchers this way (helping out with varmits(prairie dogs) and coyotes) is a great way to get permission to hunt on their land at other times (like antelope or deer season). Just something for you to think about.

Page generated in 0.03763 seconds with 8 queries