View Single Post
Old January 29, 2010, 08:31 PM   #8
rantingredneck

1st, I have no experience with a BPS. I'm sure BigJimP will chime in shortly with his wisdom on that particular model. If not, PM him with any questions about it.

The 835 is rather "mission specific" for waterfowl and/or turkey. Meant for throwing large heavy payloads at longish shotgun ranges. 3.5" chamber and overbored barrel. Neither of which will you need for skeet or small game. I have one, good gun. You may want to consider the Mossberg 500 here instead.

The 870 is always a good choice. Older Wingmaster guns are particularly nice. Newer Express guns have reports of some chamber issues on occasion. Oft times solved by a good thorough cleaning as specified in the manual or a change to better ammo.

FWIW, the type of jam people complain about in new 870's I've seen more of in old worn-in Mossbergs (2 835's and one 500). Not sure why but I know 3 people in my hunting circle that have all had issues with theirs. Mine have not had any problems.

The 1300 I've played around with. Never owned one but shot several. Never has been a natural pointer for me and the gun feels lightly built.

I guess I'll go with my standard advice of either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 depending on which fits you best and which control setup you prefer.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Page generated in 0.02906 seconds with 8 queries