Thread: How much ammo
View Single Post
Old October 30, 2005, 02:10 PM   #42
JR47

Ok, I'm one of those guys with literally tens of thousands of rounds. Why? Well, look at 7.62x39 in the late 80's. It suddenly quadrupled in price. It's getting a little scarce today, and prices are creeping up. I also shoot MilSurps. .30-06 was plentiful not too many years ago, and I was buying .30 cal cans for $30.00 per 250 round can of Dutch. Being a member of the Class 3 community, I had access to both a 1919 Browning, and a Model 1918A2 BAR. You can genuinely eat a lot of ammo in an afternoon with either.

In the early 1990's, my club bought a RAILROAD car full of Santa Barbara 7.62x51!! It was sold to the members for $75/1000 round case. Owning two M14 rifles meant buying a couple of cases per payday to keep a stock on hand.

After a while, I just started buying virtually all of my ammo by the 1000 round case. It was cheaper, and readily available if one had the cash available on the spot.

I have no illusions about engaging in any Rambo style antics. I'm too old to think that they'd work, and too experienced to allow myself to do so.

My family still shoots on a regular basis, and not having to worry about shortages, or adding the trip to the store prior to heading out is worth it to us.

Page generated in 0.02999 seconds with 8 queries