View Single Post
Old March 9, 2011, 12:51 AM   #40
OJ

Quote:
huzzah

Posts: 11 I've never had an experience with a dog of mine being attacked. But here in Mi. a person who has livestock, chickens or anything of this nature has the legal right to kill any dog they find harrasing/worrying said property. When I raised horses the dog warden told me to shoot then call him if I didn't want to dig and he would dispose of it. So it was practice the three S's. Shoot, Shovel, Shut up
Colorado has such such law making it legal to shoot dogs harassing livestock also.

Quote:
I found it surreal. I still can't figure out what it is about either (a) Ukrainian dogs that makes them LESS aggressive/territorial than their American counterparts; or (b) American dogs, that makes them much MORE aggressive/territorial than their Ukrainian counterparts.

Whatever the reason, I no longer accept the simplistic statement that "It's what dogs do."
I sincerely hope nothing I said was interpreted as "It's what dogs do" - aggression varies widely in different breeds of dogs and dogs tend to be "territorial" - defend their property as they see it but, most breeds do so by only barking and the majority of breeds are not physically aggressive - as can be seen by attending a dog show where dogs literally bump shoulders walking around the arena or waiting at the gate to enter the ring that breed is showing in.

Those "gentle giants" I showed were never aggressive and Bullmastiffs have similar personalities - their territorial activities consisted of barking the alarm but were nothing but sweet and friendly to visitors. I think I mentioned having earned more titles in obedience than conformation with them- once even for "high scoring" dog of the breed - won by a dog that seemed more interested in drawing laughs from spectators than winning medals.

Ultimately, any dog's behavior is the responsibility of the owner/handler - who should be - and legally is - responsible for the dog's actions.

My dogs get along well with these guys -

But, felt this one wore out his welcome -

He won't be back - RIP
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; March 9, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries