View Single Post
Old July 15, 2014, 03:34 PM   #4
ZVP

I read all I could concerning the 38Special high preformance loads for y all steel Model 36 (no dash) Nickled Chief, and my Model-10-6 blued 4" HB.
I have NO intentions of shooting +P loads in either revolver to avoid aabuse to the revolvers and if I wanted a .357Mag, I have a 4 5/8" .357 Vaquero for full house factory loads.
Of the loads i tested (mid to full range reloads) and regular 158 gr Factory loads along with the 125gr Speer XTP Factory Loads ( My favorite).
On the 158 gr Factory Loads, the Remington 158 gr LRN loads preform the most accurate even from the Vaquero!
The 125 gr Speer loads have a small muzzle flash, a meduim loud muzzle report from the chief. andwhen fired from the Model 10 almost NO recoil, very small flash and low Muzzle report.
I have no way to estimate the actual preformance of thesse loads. I have considered using wet Phone books to actually be able to see the damage. I have never seen Geleton tests but understand that the Speer XTP HP is a very explosive preformer, expending all energy in the target.
I also ran some tests using the Winchestr 158 gr Cowboy load. Now this is supposed to be a lowr powered load but the M/V and Bullet weight ('Specs from Winchester) mathmatically worked out to 250f/p of energy!!!
Standard Remington 158gr LRN bullet loads work out to 200ft lbs of energy!
If I am to consider fighting power loads I must include the Winchester CAS loads in th brew.
This puts both the Speer XTP ,38 Special load and the WW 158gr CAS load to be in the neighborhood of the power I want!
I load first full cylinders with the Speer's and when I run out then it's the Winchesters!
As a sidenote: I rantests using my Vaquero and +P Remington Golden Sabere in the .357 Vaquero. To my suprise, the Ruger turned BEST 7 yard accuracy using the Golden Sabre!!! Recoil and muzzle blast were about 70% of a full power Remington 158 gr, 357 Magnum load.
I intend on carrying this as my "trail" load for the Ruger as I am not likely to run into any Bears or big Cats where I go, should I go where dangerous game is, I will use full 158 gr Remingtons or the like.
The simple heavy weight of the Vaquero and the super power of the +P are totally safe for use i the Vaquero and both weight and barrel length make a very fine shooting cartrige.
For very accurate.38 Speial loads for the Rugerm the 158 gr remington RN shoot very accurately i this revolver and are my favorite target load.
As said, I intend to follow the origonal instructions from S&W and will NOT shoot +P amm through the 36 0r Model 10.
Another sidenote:
I just ocated information that there is ofically NO Model 10-6! Evidentlly, it is a prototype model of the Meduim Frame .357. It was developed as a testbed for themeduim frame Model 64 Stainless Steel revolver!
The barrel is both threaded and pinned.
My Model 10-6 never was sold to the public, instead it went on a specia prograam to the British Costabulary for issue to arm tbe British Bobbys on the street, Mine carrys British proofs and a special serial number etched into the sideplate for identification to the British. There are many individual stampmarks added by the Brits, Proofmarks, even more to classify the revolver than S&W stamped! All except for the British armory ID number are discreetly hidden on the gun. I don't know why they couldn't have been more discreet about the armourers number set? It's Ok as it's part of the history of the revolver...
Ifindeed the story of the "-6" is true, then the revolver is totally capable of handling .357 Magnum ammo, so the +p fodder is harmless to the rvover.
Still I will follow my "Gut Feeling" and stick with .38 Special High Preformance ammo.
The Model 36 (no dash) is a steel framed, Nickled version. A former owner bobbed the Hammer for DAO shooting. My intention anyway, so the missing hammer spur makes no diference to me.
DAO shooting is my main reason for choosing both revovers.
Admittedly, two things drew me to the Chief. One being the bobbed Hammer, second the beautifull Nickled finish and wood grips. Due to recoil of the little revolver, I ordered a set of S&W/Uncle Mikes rubber grips to both fill the spaces arund the frame andsecondly to tame recoil.. to my suprise, the grip set only cost $18 straight from the S&W store! They work great!
The preformance of the Speer 125 gr ammo fired fro the Chief isvery good! 7Yd groups fored from a prtaticed hand are nice and tight! Fired from mybegineers hand, not so good. I need a LOT of pratice with this gun!
Not only is the revolver small and hard to control but I really need to learn how to shoot DA!
My pratice sessions consist of either LRN or LSWC Sierria bullets loaded to 775fps using3.3 gr of WST, a clean burning, low noise and flash powder. It gives many, many, loads per pound and the gun stays extremely clean after shooting!
The special alloy Sierria bullets are cast of a harder alloy containing a high silver content and leaves the barrel very clean!
Good pratice ammo and it could double as a defense load too.
I get the sme rsult from the Model 10 with these loads
For self-defense I would only use Factory ammo!
One can never count on someone elses handloads and even loads that you assembel , no matter how careful you are, should not be used for self-defense! Chances of irregular components or fouled Powder is possible. Therefore ONLY use Current Manufacture Factory ammo for protection!

Find a load that gives best accuracy and highest power for your .38 Special and only shoot it!
HTH,
ZVP

Page generated in 0.02776 seconds with 8 queries