View Single Post
Old March 24, 2001, 11:05 AM   #6
Glamdring

Doc: Why aren't you a fan of the 32's? I know the factory loads are very weak. But in a strong gun like a Ruger or TC they can approach medium level 357 loads [with 110-120 grain bullets].

Though "weak" or squib loads aren't all bad. I think the 32 has an advantage over the 38 special or 44 special for low level loads.

The other thing is that in a strong gun like a ruger I think I could match 32's trajectory to 44 mag or 45LC+P loads close enough for practice on varmints & small game. So I could practice on the little critters with the 32 and be able to use same basic holds & adjustments for range when using a 44 or 45 on big game. It wouldn't be a perfect match but the vital zone on a deer or elk is much larger than most complete varmints [coyote would be the only critter that is bigger than deer's vital zone].

BTW I think 60 grain bullets for the 32 auto would work in the 32 mag, not sure how accurate they would be, but they should work much like a varmint bullet from a rifle at 32 mag velocity [ie would break up when hitting ground or target].

Page generated in 0.02522 seconds with 8 queries