View Single Post
Old January 31, 2006, 07:32 AM   #54
invention_45

Thanks for the welcome, Doug...

Legality of carrying ammunition is something I haven't really researched, so I don't know. I don't remember running across any statutes covering it, though, and I've read them to death since our self-defense (SYG) laws changed recently.

I think that it's just because it was the courthouse. They can do pretty much whatever they want there, and I guess their attitude is that you can file an appeal if you don't like it. I'm guessing the occupants (judges, SA, etc.) make the rules.

To give you an idea, on the boilerplate part of a RO, either temporary or permanent, is the commandment that the respondent (meaning the stalking creep, but that's another issue) is prohibited by law to not be in possession of any firearm OR ammunition while the order is in effect.

The law, by the way, only specifies this to be the case after the PERMANENT RO has been issued, but since there's no hearing before the TRO is issued, it's sort of hard to argue against it.

Back to taking the gun off in the car. I'm just getting used to carrying again after a 2 year break (long stalking-related story that I'll spare yall on this thread). I have a really nice hard leather in-pants holster I bought specifically for my Cougar .45 when I had it. I snipped a few threads and it works OK for the HK-USP.

On the one hand, it's a heck of a lot easier to grab it from the glove box in an emergency than to wrestle it out of the holster when all settled in. But, on the other hand, playing the game of removing it from the glove box and cramming it past the seat belt (even when undone the belt has a protruding part from the seat that is in the way) and into the somewhat-squished-shut holster is kind of awkward in a busy Publix parking lot.

The result is that I've had that same experience...waiting for the rare moment when nobody's waiting to park behind me, loading their groceries, getting out of their car or something else to transfer the gun without being seen.

I suspect part of the problem is the USP is on the big side for a CC weapon. But I intentionally picked it that way. I think with time I'll get it all worked out, and I hit what I'm aiming at with it a lot better than with any of the compact .45s that I tried.

Page generated in 0.02549 seconds with 8 queries