View Single Post
Old December 4, 2001, 05:59 AM   #7
yankytrash

Got a chance to compare the two a couple weeks ago. Friends and I were sighting in slug guns - we had 4 870's from Express to Express Magnums & Wingmasters. Had 2 1200's. We shot a variety of loads both old and new, both slug and shot, on targets and skeet.

Older 870's (some, not all) seem to have a slight problem double-feeding every once in a great while, resulting in a stuck shell under the bolt. Close inspection revealed smith error - too long of an aftermarket stronger magazine spring.

The 1200's had 3 'jams' all day. Inspection of the shell, after it was ram-rodded out of the barrel, revealed a hot load which expanded the base (2 were my reloads, one was a factory Federal rifled slug). The extractor on the 1200's don't seem to like having to work too hard in extracting a shell. I guess paying close attention to the type of ammo you use would fix this trouble.

Also, between the two guns, shorter-armed shooters were more accurate with the 1200's, while longer-armed shooters like myself were more accurate with the 870's, in general. That was just my observation, but I took no measurements to confirm my theory.

Hope that helps a little. I like the reliability of both weapons, so, for me, it comes down to fit and feel.

Page generated in 0.02332 seconds with 8 queries