Thread: PMC 44 Mag Ammo
View Single Post
Old August 3, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
dajowi

Let's assume that the OP wishes to purchase a standard single stage press and dies for .44 magnum from Midway USA just to use an example.

Lee single stage anniversary press kit $116.00
Lee .44 magnum Die set $41.00

That's $157 not including shipping.

Just using these figures as a starting point and comparing them with the price per box of .44 ammo $51.50 (as mentioned in my earlier post), the purchasing of four boxes of ammo or 200 rounds ($206.00) would cover the cost of the basic equipment for reloading including it's shipping.

Powder has been costing me $20 per pound
Primers about $35 per 1000
Bullets $60 per 500 240 gr. lead cast.
Midway has Hornady XTP bullets box of 100 for $24.50
Midway has new Starline brass (500 pieces) for $100

The variables related to the costs of bullets and brass are too many to list and no doubt less expensive alternatives than those listed can be found.

One doesn't need to purchase an expensive reloading manual. Load data for common calibers is supplied with the press kit. They are also available on powder manufacturer's websites.

Creating ammunition carefully tailored to my wants and needs using known quality components takes time. I can load a box of 50 in about two hours or less on my single stage press.

I could load more faster using a progressive or turret press if I wished but a single stage lets me concentrate on a single round, lessening the chances of an error while reloading.

Everyone has their own reasons why they do or do not reload. One piece of advise I have for the OP is that when they purchase that box of expensive .44 ammo that they retain the fired brass...it may come in handy someday.

Page generated in 0.02585 seconds with 8 queries