View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013, 09:57 PM   #1
myusername

Range Report on Snake Shot

I'm not sure why the other thread on this topic was closed, but let's try to keep this one clean and on topic.

Per questions on the other thread I took my Bond "Snake Slayer" derringer with .410/.45 and .38/.357 barrels out to the range today with some plastic ice tea jugs.

My hypothesis - that each round would put a bunch of tiny holes in the jug, and that the .410 would pretty well blow it up. WRONG!

I should note that no snakes were harmed in the interests of this research. And my "research" in no way is meant to disagree with anyone's "real world" experience with blowing away rattlesnakes with .22 shot, or whatever. I'm sure whatever you use works great for you. This is just want I discovered, for me.

I brought snake shot in .38/.357 and in .45LC, and #4 .410 shot.

We can shorten this quit a bit - let's just say if I need to shoot a snake I'm going to use my 1911 or a 12 guage, or a shovel.

Ok if you want the long version read on...

NONE - of the .38 or .410 shot would penetrate the jugs at 10 feet. All it did was put a bunch of little dents in the plastic. No water leaked out. My thinking is if the shot won't penetrate a plastic bottle I don't want to try it out on a snake that could bite me back!

The .45LC shot did penetrate a little. Maybe a half dozen little tiny holes. On two out of about 10 tries.

At 5 feet - one .410 round blew a 1/2 inch hole in a jug. I think it was the wad. Otherwise I still did not get full penetration with .410 and about the same with .45LC.

In frustration I took out my 1911 .45. Now THAT took care of business! First shot blew the jugs into a giant spray of water and plastic. Subsequent shots kicked it down the range until I ran out of ammo. I'm pretty sure I can hit a snake with a .45 at 25 feet. I know I could with a 12 guage!

My non-scientific results are as follows:

"Carrying snake shot in any caliber, or .410 #4 shot in a DERRINGER is a worthless waste of weight. I will include the "Judge" and other short barrel .410 pistols in this assessment since they are only marginally longer."

I suspect the short barrels just don't provide enough pressure, probably in a longer barrel revolver or rifle all the rounds would be more effective.

The jury is still out on this however. I plan to do a follow up test with a Judge, and to test with .410 buckshot as well as to compare to a 12 guage in #8 and buck. I'm also going to get some .44mag shot and see what it does out of my Blackhawk. That will probably be effective. Meanwhile I'm going to stick with a big stick and my EDC for close combat with snakes, slithering or walking.

Page generated in 0.03225 seconds with 8 queries