View Single Post
Old January 27, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Joe Chicago

Vanguard S2 Transformation

I am in the process of altering my .308 Weatherby Vanguard S2 and would like some feedback from the peanut gallery. The rifle is at a gunsmith now, having the barrel shortened from 24" to 21". I hunt in Western PA where the woods can be pretty dense and almost all shots are under 100 yards. It is more important to have a handy rifle than to get the last 100fps out of the cartridge.

After the rifle is returned I am considering replacing the factory synthetic stock with a laminate stock, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I am considering a stock from Boyd's with the upgraded Pachmayr recoil pad ( http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...10998&cat=1223). Does anyone have experience with Boyd's laminated stocks - how are they? Is it worth it to also pop for the laser checkering? What other brands of laminated stocks would you recommend? (I am trying to avoid spending a fortune.) I will probably sand away material from the barrel channel to free-float the barrel.

I plan to pillar bed the action to the new stock. Has anyone here done a pillar job? Any pointers on the process or recommended parts?

Finally, is there a product available to apply to the exterior of my barrel and action to protect it from moisture (think of clearcoat for the rifle)? I bring this up only because I have read some articles where the author recommends rubbing car wax on the action that is covered by the stock. I know there are camo sprays that may serve this purpose, but I am happy with the finish of my rifle.

Page generated in 0.03744 seconds with 8 queries