Thread: Unusual Targets
View Single Post
Old December 14, 2013, 08:42 PM   #62
james7652

I have been looking at many different postings, from this site and other forums, to find home-made shoot and see self-healing targets, for me to use while shooting my SR22. You know…the ones that once hit, reveals a bright color for you to see where the bullet hit and on the backside, the exit hole seals up and is not noticeable, so that later, you can use that side also. I saw one, in which a kneeling pad, usually smaller than 8”X15”, and costing around $6, was used. But, I found a much larger pad, for just a couple dollars more. I found a 12”X24”X1” closed cell foam pad at austinkayak.com, for $7.99, and currently with free shipping. I have ordered 2 pieces. They also sell the 12”X24” in ½” and 2” thicknesses. I wasn’t sure if the ½” thick would self-heal, as well as the 1”, so that is why I chose the 1”.

I have purchased a 20 yard roll of yellow duct tape, for $3.71 and a flat black, can of spray paint for under a $1, from Walmart. I can have 2- 12”X24”targets, 4- 12”X12” targets or adhere them together, making 1-24”X24” large target. You can always cut them to any size you want, making many more targets. Then, take the yellow (or any bright color) duct tape and completely cover one side of the foam. Take the black paint and spray it over the duct tape. Then, you can use a paper plate, with cut out circles, squares, etc. to use as a stencil and use another color of spray paint, to put those designs on top of the black paint. Instead of using the stencil and paint, you can tear off pieces of the duct tape and stick it on wax paper and paint it a different color. Then peel off and stick it on top of the black paint, in any pattern you want. You can always paint any design you want, on top of the black paint, instead of using the stencil. When you shoot the target, the black paint will chip off, revealing the colored duct tape, where your bullet hit. The back of the foam will almost look untouched, as it self-heals, by sealing back up, as the bullet passes through. You can use the front of the target, as long as you like, or until it is just too shot up. Then, remove the duct tape and repeat the procedure on the backside, where you can have a brand-new shoot and see target! You can experiment and see how often you can repeat the process, until the target is non-useable. Depending on how many targets you make out of the pieces that you have and how many times you can re-do the target, you can save a lot of money.

I am looking forward to getting my foam and making my targets. I know that I am probably not telling you anything that you don’t already know, but you will be hard-pressed to find that closed cell foam at a better price. I am not sure how long the free shipping is going to last. I hope that this may have been helpful to you. Happy shooting!

Page generated in 0.04049 seconds with 8 queries