Thread: 1894
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 12:21 AM   #25
Malamute

It should be fine with factory loads so long as the action isn't grossly loose. Don't be alarmed if primers back out a little, its pretty common. Its more of a low pressure sign than a headspace issue. The 94's ejector holds the case forward in the chamber when fired and the primers often back out a little, even when the gun's headspace is within spec. Ammo is often on the skinny side headspace wise also. You can get primer protrusion even when everything is within spec. Unless its dramatic, I ignore it.

FWIW, I believe the Remington factory loads use bullets that are about a thou under average, it should alleviate pressure even more. The component bullets I have are .307" diameter. If you want to handlaod, just using starting loads with normal rifle powders should be alright.

The guys that handload 30-30 improved and 307 say that when loads get near max, they can feel a bit of lever kick when firing. (See William Iorgs posts on shooters forum, he handloads lever cals quite a lot. He's an education in himself, reading his posts and threads) Factory 30-30 loads are really pretty mild, but if you feel some lever kick, it may be worth having the headspace checked, and action looked at. Otherwise, I'd just shoot it and enjoy it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Page generated in 0.03055 seconds with 8 queries