View Single Post
Old December 14, 2005, 10:07 PM   #51
mec

Uberti USA provides service for the Ubertis imported by them- this means all of them for the last several years. Three years ago, I asked them about parts/service for a 14 year old Paterson- the answer, " Call Cabelas" I did so and was told that they didn't know if they had any parts for the gun or not. A local distributor here, L.M.Burney Company told me that Cabelas has a vast number of products including parts but that the number were so huge, Cabelas usually couldn't find anything in their warehouses. A few years ago, an individual was doing a comprehensive search for Pietta-LeMat Parts. He detailed a number of contacts with the parts man at Cabelas and the final outcome was that they gave up. About that time, I had a Pietta Lemat from Navy Arms Company and put in an order for a selection of spare parts. After a year, the order expired and was renewied. The Navy Arms man told me that in that period of time, Pietta did not ship a single revolver part. Subsequently, VTI GunParts came into being or made arrangements with Pietta. They never did get a domestic supply of parts but did successfully order a comprehensive selection for me from Italy-and told me they could do so again. Taylor Inc. lists LeMat Parts and Pietta Starr Parts online. I ordered a number of action parts for the LeMat and did receive them after 2 months. The time frame is typical of a successful back-order from Italy. Less successful back orders can run into the years or will never be filled if it the manufacturer regards it as too much trouble to fill.

I am hearing from a number of happy Pietta Customers. I recently tested one of the Smith breach -loading carbines they sell through Dixie Gun Works and others. It was flawless in all respects- a very high quality piece of work with outstanding metal work, case hardening and blue. Dixie even lists a good selection of parts for them. Other sutlers find the carbines very hard to get.

Bates, older stainless 58 remington comes from Pietta. He had to open the frame in the back and deal with a shallow- bored nipple channel to get it to function but it is extremely accurate and he has never had to replace a single part. I've had two of their lemats and found them very accurate. There are some problems with the design- but this is endemic in the LeMat design rather than the execution by Pietta. One disturbing factor I encounted was the seeming disinterest or lack of knowledge by one of the Pietta respondents in regard to parts availability and customer service. He provided inaccurate information about the availability of LeMat parts and refused to respond in regard to customer service.

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries