Thread: new guy here!
View Single Post
Old December 28, 2005, 11:03 PM   #13
Shrike

Quote:
I know I cost a husband a few $ as his wife got a WOP upper and a RRA lower with a WOP tuned RRA trigger for Christmas. And no, it wasn't for him......she shoots better than he does.
and that is why MY wife will stay at home! First handgun she ever shot was my 9mm, and she shot circles around me! And I grew up surrounded with guns on a farm, and was expert in Army M-16 and small bore!

Anyway, perhaps it would be a good thing to get my wife involved too and help eliminate AIDS - Arms induced divorce syndrome! That and my 10 year old son and 8 year old daughter are really getting in to my collection, albeit locked up in a safe - 16 total guns from .22 to .458 win mag, handguns 9mm to .44 mag and shotguns.

I think this would be a great atmosphere for him to grow up through his teen ages - something fun and challenging, drug and alcohol free (at least no adult beverages during the shooting!) and dozens of mentors for a young kid.

They both got a kick of shooting my dad's old winchester 69a he got for his 12th birthday. now it is mine. (you might be able to guess my age now!) at 50 yards, my son was 3x and daughter 2x! this with .22 shorts, open iron sights, and again a gun that was made in 1930's! (ok, out of a box of 50 rounds!)

Thanks again gang - On a serious note, my greatest concerns are:

1) I want to commit myself to this before buying anything, I do not need another gun that will just add to my collection. If I wanted to do that I would be shopping for a S&W 500.

2) I want to only pay once - not pay twice for the gun (ie, buy a gun, then pay the price over again for needed improvements) and

3) I fear that this may be like a pro bowler's tour. that is to say, (ps, I am not a bowler!) it seems that the matches are won based on who missed the one "x", as in pro bowling - the one person who does not get a strike looses. Am I way off base here?

If I go in, I will probably get a RRA NM A-2 out of the box with rear and front weights, leather sling, and maybe upgrade the trigger to a Geissele "Guys-lee?" for the first year or so, then get a WOA upper.

I really wanted a .30 as in an M1A, but I think this woud just frustrate me, as others wouls be taking the top slots with their AR's, and I know the M-16/ AR inside and out, again from my early 20's and then later owning a colt smooth sided A2.

PJ

BTW - I am in Rockwall, Texas, and considering joining Terrell gun club.

Page generated in 0.02484 seconds with 8 queries