Thread: Ruger SR1911
View Single Post
Old December 3, 2012, 10:24 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
I'm curious as to what things you feel are lacking in the SR 1911 when compared to other 1911 pistols in the Ruger's price range. My lgs has them on sale now for $699.99.
Here's a thread I started up a while back when I was comparing the SR1911 and the Remington R1...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496065

Again, I haven't fired my SR1911 yet. I took my R1 with me on vacation and it went through another range session. At risk of being accused of an unfair assessment, I still like the R1 over the SR1911. The R1's slide/frame/barrel fitment puts my Ruger to shame. I'm not kidding. The R1 felt like butter from the day I first handled it. Will the Ruger eventually smooth out? We'll see. The Ruger has more features without a doubt. Does that justify the extra cost? To me it doesn't for some of them. I honestly don't see any added cost for a manufacturer to feature a raised grip safety or a skeletonized hammer.

Bottom line is I think Remington hit a home run on offering an extremely affordable 1911 without sacrificing a quality base product. Ruger's 1911 is no slouch, either. Don't get me wrong. I'm not griping at all about the Ruger. I'm putting both under a microscope with Ruger being a bit more scrutinized due to higher cost and a LOT of people gave rave reviews so much so that you'd think they're an employee or are starry-eyed that Ruger finally put out their own 1911. I don't think either one would be a mistake to buy.

If you can swing and extra $100, I'd take a hard look at Springfield's RO. It rivals their TRP for fitment and overall quality.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries