View Single Post
Old July 23, 2008, 05:10 PM   #17
darkgael

Focus

I'm wondering about the use of "focus" in some of the posts. I get the impression that some of us mean "see" or "notice" as opposed to see sharply and in detail. I am of the school of thought that believes that an eye - one eye, not two - can only focus (see clearly and sharply) on one thing at one distance at a time.
The original question was general in that sense:
"Is there anybody able to focus on the front sight AND the target at the same time?"
Not with my strong eye.
I, also, have trouble believing that one can train the eyes independently but piano players use their hands independently so....
I wonder, though, if the two-eyed thing is not a case of the shooter rapidly switching back and forth between the two eyes. That seems to be a more achievable physical goal.

The statement following the question is more general:
"I hear that it is an absolute, blasted in stone, fact that NO ONE can see the front sight and target at the same time."
I can "see" both at the same time. I am well aware of where the target is in relation to the front sight when I am shooting. The target, however, is not nearly as defined, unless I use an aperture over my eye or on the gun. Shooting prone .22 matches, the rear sight is an aperture and the front sight is also. Both render the target itself a lot clearer. But this is not the same as shooting a pistol or rifle with open iron sights. Not at all.
Pete

Page generated in 0.02660 seconds with 8 queries