View Single Post
Old February 25, 2005, 09:54 AM   #7
kjm

Last summer we built a deerstand out of scrap lumber we scrounged at construction sites around town. Until then, all of our stands were 4'X4' and didn't give much room. This time we made it 6' X 4' and found that we had plenty of room to stretch out and relax. The only mistake we found was that we should've made it the full 8' long since we really didn't save any money by making it 6' long. I still plan on putting a cabinet in it to keep essentials such as deer weighing stuff and reading materials as well as super essentials such as an e-tool and toilet paper for those mornings when there's been too much coffee drank and you don't want to walk 1/2 mile to the outhouse.

I carpeted the insided with some floor mats from home-depot and then put a thrift-store office chair in it that swivels. We're in the process of really turning it into a mini-cabin on stilts. I am installing a solar panel to charge a marine deep-cycling battery that will power our red spotlights for hog hunting. Hogs hit the area in the evening to grub on feeder corn and root around and so the deerstand has become a year-round hog killing stand. I'm trying to figure out how to install a floor-switch to the spotlights so that one can have both hands on the shotgun when the hogs come and still turn on the lights.

This year, we're constructing another stand except it will be 4' X 8' and we'll be able to put a folding cot in there so that we can sleep there through the night and wait for hogs. I'd be interested in other ideas folks have had. I will try to get pictures this weekend of what we have.

Page generated in 0.02688 seconds with 8 queries