View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
BTW, what about OAL?

Just seat it to the crimp cannelure?
WESHOOT2 is already giving the finest advice, and he said this also, but I'll re-iterate as it is VERY important:

You must be using the crimp groove on these bullets. IMO, if you use the crimp groove and they end up being too long (quite unlikely) then you cannot use these bullets.

For a load like this, you must have that firm crimp. I mean FIRM! Two reasons. First is that if you want this load to develop it's pressure properly and consistently, you must allow the pressure to build with the (relatively speaking) slow burning powder. A firm, solid roll crimp is -THE- way to ensure that.

Secondly, especially when using heavy slugs in a large caliber and running harsh recoiling loads...the heavy roll crimp will keep the other five rounds loaded in the revolver from lurching forward under recoil. We call it "jumping crimp" and it you WILL experience it if you aren't using a solid, heavy roll crimp.

What happens is that you fire the round in chamber #1, and the loaded rounds in all five other chambers are sitting there at rest. Sizable recoil throws the entire revolver backward when you discharge #1, but those five heavy bullets in the other chambers are observing the laws of physics. They are at rest, and tend to want to stay at rest.

Without a firm roll crimp, those other five slugs will attempt to stay where they are while the entire revolver and the five cases holding those slugs will recoil backward.

The net effect is the bullet appears to have lurched forward. (it didn't go forward exactly...they stayed in place for a moment while everything else lurched backward)

How much will they move? Don't know. You'll see! Maybe after shot #1, the other 5 haven't moved much... but as you keep shooting, the remaining ones will. Eventually, you can absolutely tie up a revolver. It'll be locked up like a bank vault until you can pound them backward from the front of the cylinder with a dowel. At that point, you have only a club for bear defense.

If you can't build a heavy hitting, heavy bullet load in a large caliber without using the supplied crimp groove of the bullet...you'll either need to buy a different bullet, or find a way to shorten your brass so that you CAN use the crimp groove in the bullet.

Page generated in 0.03662 seconds with 8 queries