Mr. James

Greetings, hagar,

To respond to a few things, if I may:

Quote:
Personally unless I am out hunting, hiking or maybe fishing I would
never open carry.
Good to go. That works for you, great.

Quote:
It scares the sheeple too much, gets unwanted attraction from the police with or without "man with a gun" calls . . .
This may or may not be true. Since we're discussing legal open carry, I'm not too concerned with scared neighbors. That's part of the point. They see normal citizens behaving peacably and going about their business - while armed - and realize, "hey, maybe this isn't such a dangerous proposition."

As to "man with a gun" calls, that has happened to me exactly once. Outcome? The police used it as an opportunity to educate the complainant, and never once contacted me, even though I was still sitting right there.

This is only possible because better men than me were willing to put up with some grief from ignorant citizens and ignorant police officers who didn't understand the law. Now they do.

Quote:
. . . and encourages the bad guys to challenge you, either verbally or physically.
A simple miststatement of fact. Where are your data to support this? I can attest after, oh, seven years of fairly constant open carry in a highly urbanized area (over 1,000,000 in our county), this is simply not true. Heck, 90 percent plus don't even notice an openly-carried sidearm! It's true!

Quote:
Three perps can disarm you in a heartbeat, you cannot go around shooting people for crowding your space or insulting you.
Well, are you shooting them because they tried to disarm you, or because they "crowded your space and insulted you"? If the latter, I would gently suggest you revisit carrying in any form.

Yes, three determined adversaries have a good chance of disarming you, if they're reckless enough to try. Point being, they will look elsewhere, where they are less likely to end up crippled, maimed or dead. Criminals like to minimize risk, believe it or not. See NavyLT's first post in this thread.

Quote:
And if you DO end up shooting somebody, the law would be all over you, claiming that you were looking for trouble, just looking to get into a gunfight.
Another bald assertion made without a scintilla of evidence. Rest assured, my good man, if you DO shoot someone, the law will be all over you no matter what you were doing. If you haven't prepared for that stark reality, I humbly suggest you should reconsider carrying a firearm outside your own domicile.

Sure, the prosecutor will try to make hay with anything and everything, from your demeanor, to your internet postings, to the frequency of your range visits (frequent? blood lust! rare? incompetent!). But we're discussing a practice no more illegal than carrying a Blackberry.

Quote:
If I had 10 other buddys doing it with me in close company, maybe, but alone, not in this life.
Ahh, delightful. We come full circle. Again, I say, "good to go. That works for you."

Whatever you choose, please stay well, sir.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

Page generated in 0.02947 seconds with 8 queries