View Single Post
Old September 16, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
Huntergirl

Wolves at the Door

Well, almost, that is. Less than 50 yds from my truck door, up in the Bridger Tetons deer hunting. I went to my usual /favorite deer hunting area, about 50 miles northeast of Pinedale, Wy, near Muddy ridge. It was raining hard. As soon as the rain stopped, I got out of the truck and began walking stealthfully down a game trail. Less than 50 yds out, I was met with a growl, and immediately sighted 4 wolves. Two took off away from me, one ran to my right, and one ran to my left behind me. I immediated pulled my XD 45acp, and scanned in a circle as I moved back to the truck. They were less than 15yds from me, when I walked up on them, waaay too close. The one that ran behind me really unnerved me. I expected to get jumped, hence the 360 degree scan with the XD. They weren't REAL big, but big enough. Made me think that maybe they were 1-2 year old litter mates, looking for easy pickins.
"bout crapped my pants on that encounter. I went down the mountain, and hunted the lower meadow, shooting a 2pointer muley. I got the heck out of there. Interesting, that is the only time I ever took my XD hunting. I usually carry my SW 41mag or a Ruger 44mag. Intuition carrying a 45 with hicap mag?
I'm a much better shot with the XD.
I have a limited draw elk tag for Sept 20. I'll only hunt the lower areas. Next year I won't be going back there. Too close for my comfort level....But if there's a trophy wolf season, I may go with a nieghbor, who's been itching to hunt them. I aint going back up there alone.

Last edited by Huntergirl; September 16, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries