View Single Post
Old October 11, 2002, 01:01 AM   #3
tex_n_cal

Howdy. I tried responding to the other thread, but it kept locking up for some reason. Odd

It sounds like you may need a better taper crimp die to get the case mouths properly ironed back to shape after belling.

I use the Redding Competition Handgun seating dies in .45ACP and in .44mag. Tight bullet fit or not, they appear to do a better job of putting the bullets in straight than anything else I have tried for straight walled cases. They'd better, they're expensive

After seating in a seperate die, I then go back with a seperate crimp operation - taper crimp in the ACP, a roll crimp in the .44 mag.

Besides Redding, Hornady also has a floating bullet seater in their seating dies. I dislike Hornady's expander dies, however, because you can't remove the expander to adjust the diameter.

You can buy Hornady's seating dies separately, and they cost a lot less than the Reddings.

If I was buying for a new caliber, I'd probably buy Redding's pistol dies, then get the Redding Comp Seater die. If Redding didn't make it for the caliber, I'd try the Hornady.

Hope this info is helpful
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand

Page generated in 0.03690 seconds with 8 queries