View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013, 01:13 AM   #4
tahunua001

I am going to go out on a limb and say that it is a fake low serial rifle.

the markings on the barrel are genuine but the receiver markings should be just as easily read. I find it suspicious that the barrel parkerization is still intact while the receiver is skuffed and scraped, as if a grinder has been taken to make the markings harder to read and make the rifle appear older than it really is.

notice that the numbers are much easier to make out than the letters, this suggests that someone WANTED you to be able to make out the serial numbers which makes me think that there used to be a couple extra digits probably a 1 in front and another digit removed from the back.

you are correct in the barrel markings, rock island armory november 1918. do not worry, many of those rifles were rebarreled and given new bolts at the end of both World wars. lift the bolt handle and look at the underside where it meets the bolt body, I'll almost bet you there's a little 'R' stamped there, denoting that it is a remington bolt. the original springfield bolt handles were straight up and down, the newer ones are slightly swept back and yours appears to be the latter. I have a 1912 springfield with a 1918 barrel and remington bolt, doesn't hurt the value at all. by the end of WWII remington was the biggest player in the 1903 game and they handled much of the post war overhauls and it was not uncommon for some of these rifles to go through 2 or even 3 barrels during service.

Page generated in 0.02976 seconds with 8 queries