View Single Post
Old January 24, 2012, 07:04 AM   #37
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
While this is unique in that what the state of TN is proposing is selective traffic enforcement, because of NY firearm laws,
No, they are not doing it because of the law but because of the treatment of one of their citizens. And they are not trying to change NYC law, just get one of their citizens left alone.

We do not like Iran because of the things they do. As a result, we employ sanctions. We are very careful about which Iranians we let into the country and check them thoroughly, if we let them in at all. I see some analogy to this.

Because of the Federal government, there are a lot of things states cannot do to each other or do at all. Personally, I think TN has a clever idea. Considering the legislature has no authority over the Tennessee highway patrol (unless they write a law that says all NYC cars must be pulled over- and they won'), it would be tough for anyone to bring a suit against anyone in TN. If the head of that agency publishes a memo telling officers to make anyone with a NYC plate hurt, that is a different story.

There may be some teeth to their threat but i see it as an empty threat, intended to provoke a response and draw attention to the issue.

Page generated in 0.02274 seconds with 8 queries