View Single Post
Old December 3, 2002, 03:43 AM   #22
shu

I have had a SA 1911-A1 mil spec for a few months now. As a glockophile I had to see what all the 1911 fuss was about. At $450.00 I feel I certainly got my money's worth, altho there were some problems. I begin to understand and appreciate the 1911.

The gun is marked Gensco IL and has stainless steel barrel bushing; serial nr NM17.... The display model at the gunshop, which the clerk said was bought in the same batch, was marked Brazil and had black barrel bushing.

The barrel bushing would not come out without several minutes of work. It was out of round compared to the slide, and was hanging up on the front sight post. I polished the bushing outside and the slide post with crocus cloth to get a better fit without adding any play when assembled.

The gun shot 6 inches low at 15 yards. I cautiously filed down the front sight. Group size is as good as I could ask for.

Recently I noticed a large chunk cracked out of one of the cheap plastic grips. I installed Pachmayr wood/rubber wrap. Pachmyrs holes did not exactly match Springfield's studs at the lower mount point, but close enough for my purposes. The pistol had always felt insecure in the hand before, but those rubber finger grooves lock that sucker in fer sure now.

At the same time I installed an Ed Brown recoil buffer pad.

I have run 230gr PMC and S&B ball with no problems. Several of my reloads failed to come into battery, which I attribute to setting the crimp die too low.

The black finish is none too thick, showing alot of wear after just a few months. For $450.00 I can live with that.

If the metal parts hold up structurally, I will continue to be content.

Page generated in 0.02779 seconds with 8 queries