View Single Post
Old February 28, 2011, 05:05 PM   #12
DaveTrig

Almost certainly covered before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
the DA in your area is apparently a loon.
It's not just one. When I became an instructor, I went nuts talking to the Putnam Sheriffs Dept, Westchester Cty Police, and local DA's, trying to find a way to do range time with students before they had their permits. In strict adherence to the the law, the only way is with a pre-license exemption under 400.00 3(b):

Quote:
S400.00 3. Applications
(b) Application for an exemption under paragraph seven-b of subdivision a of section 265.20 of this chapter. Each applicant desiring to obtain the exemption set forth in paragraph seven-b of subdivision a of section 265.20 of this chapter [a NYS pistol license] shall make such request in writing of the licensing officer with whom his application for a license is filed, at the time of filing such application. Such request shall include a signed and verified statement by the person authorized to instruct and supervise the applicant, that has met with the applicant and that he has determined that, in his judgment, said applicant does not appear to be or poses a threat to be, a danger to himself or to others. He shall include a copy of his certificate as an instructor in small arms, if he is required to be certified, and state his address and telephone number. He shall specify the exact location by name, address and telephone number where such instruction will take place...
...it goes on...quite a bit. You should take a careful reading of Sections 265 and 400, at least to appreciate the state laws that are being ignored in your area.

In the context of the OP, however, she's required to buy prior to applying for a permit, and forbidden from touching prior to obtaining a permit. So I and my fellow local instructors can help her get range time with different handguns so she can make an informed decision when purchasing.

Page generated in 0.02688 seconds with 8 queries