View Single Post
Old August 13, 2001, 08:51 PM   #16
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Good point labgrade, I never thought of the fact that in colder waters there may not be the "critters" to take care of goodies that we have here.
I had about 50 pounds of shrimp heads one time and it would be 3 days before the garbage man passed, and it was August, so i wanted to sisopose of them right quick. I drove to the back of my place and pitched them in the Teche (that's my back property line). I went back up to the house, got a cold 6-pack of a certain "beverage" and a rod and reel and some of the peeled shrimp. Gave it about 15 minutes, and went back and filled up a 48 quart ice chest with nice channel cats in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range. I quit when I figured I had all I wanted to skin. They were still going strong. The next morning all evidence was gone.
In the Gulf of Mexico if you happen to catch a bluefish out of a school under one of the offshore oil platforms, and you would by any chance want it, you better reel it in quick or cannibalism sets in. We don't keep them down here, we consider them trash fish so we better reel them in quick to release them, or the others will eat them before they are reeled in and another one is on the hook by hooking himself when he ate the head!

Page generated in 0.02787 seconds with 8 queries